Monday, June 23, 2008

Second post, much newer than the first.

Hello again internets. I know there is technically only one of you, but to me you seem like a digital web waiting for us analog flies to get caught in.

Anyways, I decided to sweep the gallery today. It was somewhat fulfilling, but whenever I start to try and clean or do something all I see is more and more that needs to be done. Since I am currently the only vollenteerer, and yes, grumpster, laugh at my speeling, it phases me not, and I've been having trouble raising the time, energy and will power to snap this gallery back into shape. The owner, operator and patron of the SHOW GALLERY arts is a busy man, with many busynesses to run and tennants to take care of and friends and family, and so I feel guilty calling him everyother day just to tell him, hey, I'm here, no one comes in and no one is caring :(. I care. That much I know. The community I felt last year at the gallery has evaporated, the guy who was running the show is M.I.A. (good luck to him though, nice guy and I hope only the best for him). And so I feel like the torch is being passed somewhat, but right now the flame has been extinguished, only to hopefully spark again. I have no idea what it will take, but coming soon there is a group show, which is always fun, because with many different artists and many different arts all coming together it should make for an interesting time. Now instead of one artist to help, I'll have several, which is good and I hope I can inspire one or two of them to do some sitting, but it all depends on their moods and attitudes towards the gallery.

I have just started "project improve galleries standing with queen st. public", which is a campain against sneers and jeers at the prospect of a "free art gallery" accross from the hospital, and around the "profit" driven art dealers with window store shops and fancy imported expensive and quite nice art. I enjoy the mocca, edward day, the cuban art gallery, T.A.N.'s coffee shop with art on the walls and even black dog video is a nice place for such things. It is such an interesting block, with profesionals and such and people from every walk of life, asking for change, cigarrettes, and just someone to listen to their stories and to treat them as people, not like the by-products of the social-welfare state ( I think that a social saftey net is a more appropriate term, but others would disagree). So in the interest of the community, and of my new favorite block, I decided to clean it up, one sidewalk slab at a time. I started sweeping the dust from the gallery's front, getting rid of the polka dots left by the gas companies chewing up the pavement to instal new metres and such, and was quickly discouraged by the amount of dirt that had built up and the lack of care. So I moved on to sweeping cigarette butts into the street, which seems logical but may be illegal, so my excuse is "i'm not getting paid for this, and half of them are likely mine". Someone, who knows who they are, remarked that they would just go into the sewer drains and end up in our water supply, but I still believe that toronto's water is drinkable and potable, even if they have to make some new filter to filter out the filters. But anyways, only my new favorite coffee shop's employess seemed to notice my invasion of public property, and laughed at me and said "why are you doing this" and I said "because some of them are mine, and it makes it look nicer", but 10 minutes later there was a carton full of cigarette buts back on the sidewalk, and I could only mope about it (as I lit my own cigarette and later tossed it off the curb).

Anyways, I can now count my self amoung the working class, although I have no class and barely work, atleast in the kind that matters to pay the bills, and so my time is being split between several adventures: finding afordable housing, learning about flowers and guardening as an art and a buisness, and trying to get this gallery going again. So I am busier than ever, yet am trying to juggle everything. Anyways, I had a very good day today, even if it ended with me covered with drywall compound (fixing holes in drywall is a lousy thing to be doing after 7 hours of work, eating dinner (a sangwitch) in the gallery, and then meeting my new land lord and going to my new and seedy bachelor apt., located in a nice little corner of parkdale, minutes away from the exibition, and a short bus ride to work, and a short streetcar ride to the gallery and coffee shop. Sigh. No internet for me for maybe 2 months, and that is pretty saddening for me, but I hope to bring my heavy computer to the coffee shop and use their wireless internet and sip on my drink very slowly and ask for water because I can't afford more than 2 beverages a day there, and trying to sneak in a bag lunch/greasy, cheap, yet delicious and less pricy food from the 2 restaraunts down the street (sorry guys, I can't afford to be an organic person, and I like meat too much to be a vegetarian, and greasy food is awesome fun in my tummy tum tum. Mmm, bacon cheese burgers, mmm. Sorry again.

Ok, so this went fairly well, hope I didn't give too much info, just needed to unwind and settle my mind.

Goodbye for now, city my city, my time has come.

No comments: