Sunday, June 22, 2008

Foray into the blogging world at 3am on a sunday night, several hours before "work"

Ok, this is my first time... be gentle internet audience, whoever and whomever you may be. So....

I started volunteering at this little, almost hidden, non-for profit art gallery last year, and low and behold, I am doing it again this year. If you havn't heard of it, havn't been to it, and havn't read it at the top of this page/visited the hope to be up, up to date and running soon, website artbrutart.com, then let me give you the little talk I give to the people who decide to venture into the little door at 978 queen st. west, toronto ontario, located between a cuban art gallery and T.A.N.'s coffee, across from the queen st. camh and centre for the working arts and just down the street from trinity belwoods park:

WELCOME TO the SHOW GALLERY...blog...

We are a non-for profit, privately owned, volenteer run, art gallery, located in the heart of art gallery country on west queen st west, who provide space to artists of all different backgrounds, as long as you deserve the space and are gentle on the walls. Anyways, the gallery is a nice little square room, with exposed brick on one wall, white paint on the oposing, and red on the back wall and a nice little store front window sometimes empty, sometimes full with beautiful and creative art work, done by people who use their own materials, hang their own shows, price their own paintings, and just need help having someone keep the door open for them so that people can come in and see what they have done and acomplished. Many of our artists (if they do not mind me calling them so) have been through poverty, have survived being a "consumer", which is an ugly word for someone who's had to deal with the mental health system in any way, shape, or form, and who are just looking to get out there, get started and become someone doing something, even if it's just in the eye's of a lowly volenteer who can share in what they are going through, what they are doing and always looking to learn from those who have been there before.

Anyways, my grammer, punctuation and spelling need some touch ups, as with my interpersonal skills. I will proudly state that I am amoung those who are named "consumers" and doing my darndest to become a proud "survivor". I am "social phobic", which is an anxiety disorder, caracterised by being afraid of people for no logical reason. Part of my recovery is just getting what we in the S.P. world call "exposures", which is a nice way of saying "getting out of the house and forcing ourselves to interact with the big scary world :S".

So anyways, I will probobally add more about myself later, as I seem to be the only one frequenting the gallery these days, but I hope to start a mailing list, keep updating the website, and just get the word out the best I can that this gallery is worth your time and mine, and that everyone and anyone should stop by when the door is open, be adventurous, and step into a world that is not their own and out of the rain and just walk around, look at the pictures/art/photo's/sculptures/whatever is on the walls, on the floors, under the benches and on the little desk at the time, which changes every 3 weeks on the saturday night opening, when we have free cheese and crackers, water and pop, and hope to encourage a good time had by all from the hours of 7-9 and whenever the door is open after the opening.

Anyways again, good night internet world, I hope you sleep too, and that you are up before me and running around and getting your work(s) done and hope to see you soon, though you may have to coax me into admiting I am the author of this poorly written statement.

1 comment:

T.A.N. Toronto said...

So, uh, should I call you "J", or "Harry Pothead"? I am undecided. And congrats on baring so much about yourself in your first post.

And, its "volunteer", "grammar", "haven't", "probably".

I am such a jerk.